Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD, occurs after living through or seeing a dangerous event, such as war, a hurricane, or bad accident. PTSD makes you feel stressed and afraid after the danger is over. It affects your life and the people around you (source). Here are a few causes of PTSD:
- Being a victim of or seeing violence
- The death or serious illness of a loved one
- War or combat
- Car accidents and plane crashes
- Hurricanes, tornadoes, and fires
- Violent crimes, like a robbery or shooting.
As personal injury attorneys, we work with lots of clients involved in car accidents, and almost ten percent of car accident survivors develop PTSD symptoms. It can be dificult to make emotional progress (even though your body may be healing) after a terrible accident. Discuss this issue with a trusted doctor to seek help if you feel you are affected by PTSD- proper mental health is no laughing matter.
Read more here.